“The Rising Tide” strategic plan is the third in a trilogy since 2016. It builds upon the goals achieved from previous plans to establish and solidify SMCM’s position as The National Public Honors College and the college of choice for students, faculty, staff and the community.
The core of SMCM’s strategy to create an innovative, distinctive and competitive academic identity is the LEAD Initiative (Learning through Experiential and Applied Discovery), launched by the College in 2019. The LEAD journey provides an all-encompassing and integrative pathway to ensure success for all students and includes curricular and co-curricular opportunities for all students, faculty and staff.
- Goal I.A Develop and implement innovative new programming that continues to make the curriculum more distinctive and attractive to prospective students, faculty, and staff.
- Goal I.B Expand the College community’s national and global awareness and engagement impact.
- Goal I.C Cultivate a curriculum and campus environment that promote physical, mental, and social wellness.
- Goal I.D Integrate leadership and professionalization through professional development for students, faculty and staff.
Student success requires institutional support that is personalized, flexible, equitable and inclusive. Empowering our diverse student population requires individualized measures of success that may include academic achievement; personal agency and self-reliance; preparation for the future; growing and thriving; and maintaining physical, mental, social and financial health.
- Goal II.A Ensure student access to a centralized, equitable and effective holistic support system.
- Goal II.B Foster a sense of belonging for all new students.
- Goal II.C Provide a “Graduate Return on Investment” grant to empower (and incentivize) new, first-time students to engage in activities that facilitate graduation within four years of matriculation.
As SMCM grows, its student population should reflect that of the state of Maryland. Significantly, the success of this Pillar relies on the successful implementation of Pillars I, II and IV to distinguish the College as The National Public Honors College, thereby becoming the college of choice for prospective students and families.
- Goal III.A Employ strategies to have a student body that reflects Maryland’s diverse and multi-ethnic population.
- Goal III.B As the National Public Honors College, increase the number of out-of-state students.
As The National Public Honors College, St. Mary’s College of Maryland desires to be an anchor institution locally and in the region, raising its visibility, presence and impact. It seeks to be a partner of choice, cultivating long-lasting and impactful relationships that contribute to the best and most equitable place to live, work and study. This community-focused pillar immerses our students in pathways for success, meaning, service and collaboration while developing opportunities for student educational engagement with the local and regional communities.
- Goal IV.A Enrich regional life by assessing and advertising College resources available to the local and regional communities.
- Goal IV.B Expand opportunities for students to be engaged within the region through both curricular and co-curricular offerings that advance the St. Mary’s Way.